[R] Fwd: Re: shell.exec() on Windows, unexpected behavior

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat May 12 05:59:59 CEST 2007

This is yet another guess but it might be that its not a matter of whether
its installed or not but whether its running (possibly in the
background).  If that
were the case then forcing a new instance might solve it.

Have a look at the last page of the following for the command line switches:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/Acrobat_SDK_developer_faq.pdf#Page=24

The /n switch forces a new instance of either to run, i.e. from the Windows
command line:

start acrobat.exe /n myfile.pdf
start acrord32.exe /n myfile.pdf