[R] Nonlinear constrains with optim

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Thu May 10 20:48:16 CEST 2007

Paul,

The general idea here is to transform a constrained problem into a sequence
of unconstrained optimization problems.  When only equality constraints are
involved, a popular way to do this is to augment the objective function with
a Lagrangian term and with a quadratic penalty term.  When general
inequalities are present, it is a lot harder, but various kinds of "barrier
functions" are used.

A canonical reference (quite theoretical) for constrained optimization is
the book:
Fiacco and McCormick (1968, but reprinted as classic by SIAM in 1990):
Nonlinear programming: sequential unconstrained minimization techniques.

Another good book is that by Roger Fletcher (1987): Practical methods of
optimization.

Ravi.

-------

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu