[R] R 2.5.0 Help - problems with search

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Thu May 10 14:47:54 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 08:29 -0400, Pietrzykowski, Matthew (GE, Research)
wrote:
> Hello-
>
> I recently upgraded from R 2.4.1 to R 2.5.0 and have tried to used the
> search engine with minimal results.  When I enter the command,
>
> > help.start()
>
> My browser opens with the main html interface.  When I click the link
> for the search engine,  the search page comes up, but when I enter a
> search term the result is always "undefined".
>
> I am looking on my end for browser setting options, but would like to
> know
> if there was an error in installation that I am not aware of.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

You don't indicate what OS you are on, but your message headers suggest
Windows.

When you get to the Search Engine page, take note of the following text
below the search buttons:

"For search to work, you need Java installed and both Java and
JavaScript enabled in your browser.

On the Mozilla/Netscape family of browsers you should see `Applet
SearchEngine started' at the left edge of the status bar. For help
consult the R Installation and Administration manual.

On Mozilla-based browsers the links on the results page will become
inactive if you return to it: to work around this you can open a link in
a new tab or window.

Even if this search does not work on your system, you can always use
help.search at the R prompt."

Check on the above, including the additional information on the manual
link page and if you still have no resolution, post back with further
details.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz