[R] Unit Testing Frameworks: summary and brief discussion

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Thu May 10 11:07:14 CEST 2007

Yes, butler is pretty much abandoned.  I didn't realise that runit
existed when I first wrote it, so much of the functionality is
probably implemented better there (with maintainers that are actually
doing something with the package).

That said, the purpose of butler wasn't only for unit testing, it also
contains some code (which doesn't duplicate functionality available
elsewhere, to the best of my knowledge) for benchmarking (benchmark)
and profiling (stopwatch).  The profiling code formats the output of
Rprof in a slightly different way to the default, and also has a
graphical display.  There is to be a natural connection between
profiling and tree based partitioning, so I hope one day to implement
a visualisation, based on the ideas of Klimt, that makes it easier to
explore profiling data.

Hadley