[R] generalized least squares with empirical error covariance matrix

Roy Mendelssohn Roy.Mendelssohn at noaa.gov
Wed May 9 22:16:11 CEST 2007

Look at "DLM".  it can do bayesian dynamic linear models, ie. the
bayes equivalent of kalman filtering.

-Roy M.
On May 9, 2007, at 1:09 PM, Andrew Schuh wrote:

> I have a bayesian hierarchical normal regression model, in which the
> regression coefficients are nested, which I've wrapped into one
> regression framework, y = X %*% beta + e .  I would like to run data
> through the model in a filter style (kalman filterish), updating
> regression coefficients at each step new data can be gathered.  After
> the first filter step, I will need to be able to feed the a non-
> diagonal
> posterior covariance in for the prior of the next step.  "gls" and
> "glm"
> seem to be set up to handle structured error covariances, where
> mine is
> more empirical, driven completely by the data.  Explicitly solving w/
> "solve" is really sensitive to small values in the covariance
> matrix and
> I've only been able to get reliable results at the first step by using
> weighted regression w/ lm().  Am I missing an obvious function for
> linear regression w/ a correlated  prior on the errors for the
> updating
> steps?  Thanks in advance for any advice.

> guide.html

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
Government or NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst