[R] Weighted least squares

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Wed May 9 02:37:31 CEST 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weighted_least_squares gives a formulaic
description of what you have said.

I believe the original poster has converted something like this

	y	  x
	0	1.1
	0	2.2
	0	2.2
	0	2.2
	1	3.3
	1	3.3
	2	4.4

into something like the following

	y	  x	freq
	0	1.1	   1
	0	2.2	   3
	1	3.3        2
	2	4.4        1

Now, the variance of means of each row in table above is ZERO because
the individual elements that comprise each row are identical. Therefore
your method of using inverse-variance will not work here.

Then is it valid then to use lm( y ~ x, weights=freq ) ?

Regards, Adai