[R] Weighted least squares

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue May 8 17:19:16 CEST 2007

Dear Hadley,

I think that the problem is that the term "weights" has different meanings,
which, although they are related, are not quite the same.

The weights used by lm() are (inverse-)"variance weights," reflecting the
variances of the errors, with observations that have low-variance errors
therefore being accorded greater weight in the resulting WLS regression.
What you have are sometimes called "case weights," and I'm unaware of a
general way of handling them in R, although you could regenerate the
unaggregated data. As you discovered, you get the same coefficients with
case weights as with variance weights, but different standard errors.
Finally, there are "sampling weights," which are inversely proportional to
the probability of selection; these are accommodated by the survey package.

To complicate matters, this terminology isn't entirely standard.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox, Professor
Department of Sociology