[R] A function for raising a matrix to a power?

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Tue May 8 00:11:28 CEST 2007

Paul,

Your solution based on SVD does not work even for the matrix in your example
(the reason it worked for e=3, was that it is an odd power and since P is a
permutation matrix.  It will also work for all odd powers, but not for even
powers).

However, a spectral decomposition will work for all symmetric matrices (SVD
based exponentiation doesn't work for any matrix).

Here is the function to do exponentiation based on spectral decomposition:

expM.sd <- function(X,e){Xsd <- eigen(X); Xsd$vec %*% diag(Xsd$val^e) %*%
t(Xsd$vec)}

> P <- matrix(c(.3,.7, .7, .3), ncol=2)
     [,1] [,2]
[1,]  0.3  0.7
[2,]  0.7  0.3
> P %*% P
     [,1] [,2]
[1,] 0.58 0.42
[2,] 0.42 0.58
> expM(P,2)
     [,1] [,2]
[1,] 0.42 0.58
[2,] 0.58 0.42
> expM.sd(P,2)
     [,1] [,2]
[1,] 0.58 0.42
[2,] 0.42 0.58

Exponentiation based on spectral decomposition should be generally more
accurate (not sure about the speed).  A caveat is that it will only work for
real, symmetric or complex, hermitian matrices.  It will not work for
asymmetric matrices.  It would work for asymmetric matrix if the
eigenvectors are made to be orthonormal.

Ravi.

-------

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu