[R] Sweave and size10.clo

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sun May 6 13:24:02 CEST 2007

On 06/05/2007 2:23 AM, Tom Schenk Jr. wrote:
> Using Sweave on Windows (MikTeX 2.5 and R 2.4.1), I've ran into a bit of a
> problem with the tex -> DVI process.
>
> First, I've corrected the common \usepackage error by using
> \usepackage{"C:/Program Files/R/R-2.4.1/share/texmf/Sweave"} to get around
> the spacing problem. That is, LaTeX is finding the Sweave.sty, which has
> been a common problem in past postings here.
>
> However, my problem comes with running the latex command. The output is
> shown below:
>
> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.6-2.2 (MiKTeX 2.5)
> entering extended mode
> (test.tex
> LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
> Babel <v3.8g> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang, nohyphenation,
> ge
> rman, ngerman, french, loaded.
> ("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.5\tex\latex\base\article.cls"
> Document Class: article 2005/09/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
> ("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.5\tex\latex\base\size10.clo"))latex: Windows API
> err
> or 123: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
>
> The problem seems to be the size10.clo file and is only a problem for me
> with the use of Sweave.sty. Any ideas?

Are you sure that's the problem?  You have two closing parens after that
file is listed; I think that succeeded, and the error happened afterwards.

I'd be suspicious of the Sweave \usepackage line.  Perhaps MiKTeX now
requires backslashes instead of forward slashes, or maybe the quotes are
causing problems.   (Your \usepackage line worked fine here, but I'm
using MikTeX 2.4.  MikTeX has a habit of making incompatible changes.)

Duncan Murdoch