[R] pseudo-R2 or GOF for regression trees?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat May 5 22:57:00 CEST 2007

On Sat, 5 May 2007, Prof. Jeffrey Cardille wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there an accepted way to convey, for regression trees, something
> akin to R-squared?

Why not use R-squared itself for your purposes?

Just get the fitted values from however you do the fit, and compute
R-squared from the basic formula (the one which compares with an intercept
only: all regression trees extend that model).

Now, R-squared has lots of problems of its own (to the extent that it is
only mentioned as something to avoid in some statistical texts) and these
are worse here as the number of parameters fitted is unquantifiable. But
as a factual summary it does mean what you quote.  Whether any model of
comparable complexity would also explain 42% of the variance is a much
harder question.

(Small anecdote: one of my first experiences of this was a psychologist
who had funded a research project to relate personality/intelligence tests
to 20-odd measurements on facial profiles by (stepwise) linear regression.
My contribution was to point out that the R^2 produced was less for every
one of the responses than one would expect on average for the same number
of random unrelated regressors.  To be systematically worse than such a
straw man takes some achieving, and I have always suspected a bug in the
fitting software.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk