[R] [SPAM] - Re: R package development in windows - BayesianFilter detected spam

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sat May 5 00:46:32 CEST 2007

On 04/05/2007 4:25 PM, Greg Snow wrote:
> I have used the pp/par combination for Perl before.  It is pretty straight forward to convert an existing perl script into a stand alone windows executable.
>
> Both the Activestate licence and the Perl Artistic licence allow for embedding a script and perl interpreter together and distributing the result.
>
> The current perl script(s) used for the R package build package could easily be converted to a 'stand alone' windows executable and be distributed with Rtools for those who do not want to install Perl themselves.
>
> The only drawback is that even a "Hello World" script will result in over a meg sized executable (due to the perl interpreter being included).

I took a quick look at the PAR page on CPAN, and it seems possible to
build a DLL that incorporates the interpreter, and then each individual
script .exe could be much smaller.  I'll see if I can get that to work;
it would be really nice to be able to drop the Perl requirement.  If we
could do that, I'd include the command line tools plus the compiled
scripts with the basic R distribution, so you could easily build simple
packages.  The Rtools.exe installer would then just need to install the
MinGW compilers for packages containing compiled code, and a few extras
needed for building R.

I don't really know Perl, so I might be asking for advice if I get stuck.

Duncan Murdoch