[R] sorting in barplot

Romain.Mayor at ville-ge.ch Romain.Mayor at ville-ge.ch
Wed May 2 17:36:03 CEST 2007

Thank you for your answer,

But I think it doesn't work, because the function "bargraph.CI" (I use it
because barplot doesn't have a standard error option) use two internally
function(one for mean and the other for standard error) which use something
like tapply (which sort the factors by alphabet). If I decompose the two
function and  than reorder one time with mean and one other time with
standard error, so it doesn't match on the graph.
I try also so: bargraph.CI(x.factor = REGION, response = MOY_FST, data =
Fst2,ylab = "Average Fst by pair of
populations",reorder(Fst2$REGION,Fst2$MOY_FST,mean))
with tihs Fst2 table:
  REGION MOY_FST
1      AR   0.039
2      AR   0.040
3      AR   0.041
4      AR   0.041
5      AR   0.044
6      AR   0.051
7      AR   0.055
8      AR   0.058
9      AR   0.069
10     AR   0.076
11   HT-S   0.080
12   HT-S   0.084
13   HT-S   0.090
14   HT-S   0.091
15   HT-S   0.094
16   HT-S   0.096
17     GE   0.079
18     GE   0.086
19     GE   0.095
20     GE   0.104
21     GE   0.107
22     GE   0.118
23     GE   0.119
24     GE   0.137
25     GE   0.139
26     GE   0.152
27     GE   0.178

But it doesn't work well.

RM, best regards.

             Marc Schwartz
             <marc_schwartz at co
             mcast.net>                                                  A
                                       Romain.Mayor at ville-ge.ch
             01.05.2007 19:49                                           cc
                                       r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
                                                                     Objet
             Veuillez répondre         Re: [R] sorting in barplot
             marc_schwartz at com
                 cast.net

On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 19:33 +0200, Romain.Mayor at ville-ge.ch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to sort my bargraph.CI plot (function like barplot in the
> SCIPLOT package) by the mean of the response variable.
>
> Does somebody have a trick for it.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Romain Mayor, PHD student.

If it is built on top of barplot(), then by default, the factor levels
of your response variable will determine the order of the bars in the
plot.

See ?reorder.factor for more details relative to defining the order
based upon the mean of the variable. There is an example there of using
the median.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz