[R] Wikibooks

Clint Bowman clint at ecy.wa.gov
Fri Mar 30 23:32:25 CEST 2007

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> Deepayan Sarkar wrote:

> > There's a difference between public archiving and copying.
> >

> >> It's not that simple. Dealing with international contributors it's even worse.
> >> Under US law (the only one I'm familiar with), the author of a mailing list
> >> post or any other written work _automatically holds copyright_ to that
> >> post (although not to the ideas contained therein, but to that particular
> >> description of the ideas). (Of course, if the ideas are original to the author,
> >> it's good form to acknowledge that regardless of whether the exact words
> >> are used).
> >>

> > I believe this is true for all countries that are signatory to the
> > Berne convention (which is pretty much all countries [1]). The US in
> > fact was one of the later ones to get into it, before which you had to
> > explicitly copyright things if you wanted copyright.
> >
> > -Deepayan
> >
> > [1] http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Berne_Convention.png
> >
> Yes. It's pretty obvious that by posting you agree to publication, and
> presumably also to archiving.  Think "Letters to the Editor". However,
> you do not agree to just any republication (in particular not to
> commercial usage -- say someone wants to publish the collected works of
> a particularly prolific correspondent, without  paying and obtaining
> consent).
>
> Interestingly, BYTE magazine back in the late 80's actually ran a Best
> of BIX column with postings from their bulletin board. I've always
> wondered how (and whether) they handled the copyright issues.
>
> There is a middle ground of "fair use" and the right to citation,
> though. I certainly don't expect to be cited by everyone using code
> snippets from one of my posts.
>
>     -pd

My wife has edited just such a collection (of Compuserve forum messages)
and is currently engaged in writing another.  And yes, obtaining and
keeping track of a hundred citations through the editing process is quite
the chore--but not so bad that she isn't willing to embark on another
book.  Needless to say, she cringes at the looseness of copyright tracking
that occurs on email lists and wikis.

Clint

Clint Bowman			INTERNET:	clint at ecy.wa.gov
Air Dispersion Modeler		INTERNET:	clint at math.utah.edu
Air Quality Program		VOICE:		(360) 407-6815
Department of Ecology		FAX:		(360) 407-7534

	USPS:  		PO Box 47600, Olympia, WA 98504-7600
	Parcels:	300 Desmond Drive, Lacey, WA 98503-1274