[R] Wikibooks

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Fri Mar 30 11:27:46 CEST 2007

Bert Gunter wrote:
> Question:
>
> Many (perhaps most?) questions on the list are easily answerable simply by
> checking existing R Docs (Help file/man pages, Intro to R, etc.). Why would
> a Wiki be more effective in deflecting such questions from the mailing list
> than them? Why would too helpful R experts be more inclined to refer people
> to the Wiki than the existing docs? Bottom line: it's psychology at issue
> here, I think, not the form of the docs.

Answer:

The online help, vignettes and manuals have a very intimidating (i.e.,
technical) presentation for people that tend to be afraid of such a
crude presentation. It is apparently not your case, and this is probably
why you even don't realize this could be a problem for a non negligible
fraction of R. The Wiki was primarily targeted to them. As you say: it's
psychology at issue here.

As other have pointed out, the main reason for the lack of success of
the R Wiki is that the mailing lists, particularly R-Help, are sooo
successful. However, I continue to consider that the mailing list is
suboptimal in two cases: (1) when text is not enough to express the
idea, and (2) for frequent questions that would certainly deserve a good
compilation on a wiki page and a redirection to it everytime the
question is asked.

Best,

Philippe Grosjean
--