[R] Wikibooks

John Sorkin jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu
Fri Mar 30 02:55:07 CEST 2007

I think we occasionally think that it is very easy to get information because we know how to find the information. This does not mean that other people know how to find the answer. It is for this reason that questions appear on the listserver that we might think could be easily found from other sources.
John

John Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
Baltimore VA Medical Center GRECC,
University of Maryland School of Medicine Claude D. Pepper OAIC,
University of Maryland Clinical Nutrition Research Unit, and
Baltimore VA Center Stroke of Excellence

University of Maryland School of Medicine
Division of Gerontology
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524

(Phone) 410-605-7119
jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu

>>> "hadley wickham" <h.wickham at gmail.com> 3/29/2007 7:47 PM >>>
> Many (perhaps most?) questions on the list are easily answerable simply by
> checking existing R Docs (Help file/man pages, Intro to R, etc.). Why would
> a Wiki be more effective in deflecting such questions from the mailing list
> than them? Why would too helpful R experts be more inclined to refer people
> to the Wiki than the existing docs? Bottom line: it's psychology at issue
> here, I think, not the form of the docs.

I agree - and there's also a problem that until the wiki becomes
useful there's no point referring people to it, and because no one
visits it, it doesn't get better.

http://www.wikipatterns.com provides some good advice for getting a wiki going.

Hadley