[R] Use of 'defineVar' and 'install' in .Call

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Mar 29 01:21:57 CEST 2007

I did read your second message about the problem symptoms disappearing
but I thought that I might make a couple of suggestions about your
code anyway.

There are a number of helper functions declared in Rinternals.h such
as ScalarReal, which is equivalent to your mkans.  (Also
ScalarInteger, ScalarLogical, ...) The functions to convert scalars in
the other direction, i.e. taking an SEXP and returning an int or a
double or a ... , are called asInteger, asReal, ...

If you are writing a package you can define an initialization function
called R_init_<pkgname> to perform initialization for the package.  If
you are going to use a symbol like x many times then you can save the
result of install("x") as a global, say, myPkg_xSymbol during
initialization and use the global variable instead of calling install
many times.  The overhead for calling install is small but if you can
avoid it I don't see a reason not to.

Finally, why do you want to use identifiers like u1, u2, ... when you
could pass a vector named "u" and use that.  In other words, wouldn't
it be easier to do the extraction of the components in the R code for
the function rather than generating a whole bunch of different names?

I suggest that this thread be moved to the r-devel list, which I have cc:d.