[R] Source Code for zoo?

Berwin A Turlach berwin at maths.uwa.edu.au
Tue Mar 27 14:07:08 CEST 2007

G'day John,

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 04:52:03 -0700 (PDT)
John McHenry <john_d_mchenry at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I downloaded the source code for the package zoo (zoo_1.2-2.tgz from
> CRAN).

Are you sure?  How did you download it and from where exactly?

As far as I know, and as far as I can tell, CRAN has all source
packages in tar.gz format, not in tgz format.

> When I gunzip and untar the file I can't find the R / C /
> FORTRAN code for the library.

There is no C or FORTRAN code in that *package*, only R code.  And it
if I download zoo_1.2-2.tar.gz from my preferred mirror, unpack and
untar the file, I can see the R code in the directory R.

> In the R directory under zoo, the listing is for 3 files:
>
> zoo
> zoo.rdb
> zoo.rdx
>
> Is the code encoded in one of these files?

Yes, and it looks very much as if you have downloaded a binary version
of that package and not the source version.

> I've had this problem with other packages too, trying to browse the
> source. Am I missing something obvious?

That you are downloading binary distributions of packages instead of
their source distribution? :-)

Cheers,

	Berwin