[R] problem with installation of packages

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 27 09:56:55 CEST 2007

This is an internet access problem (there is missing space in the message
that has been corrected since 2.4.1)

The issue is

> Warning: unable to access index for repository
> http://cran.wustl.edu/src/contrib

That is an issue specific to your setup, but why is someone mailing from
an Indian address using a mirror in the USA?  (Your signature is missing:
please see the R posting guide.)

How do you _know_ 'The http_proxy is correctly set'?: no evidence is
provided here and proxy problems remain the most likely cause.  You can
debug your setup via options(internet.info=0), but we cannot do it for
you.

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Vikas Rawal wrote:

> I am having a peculiar problem with installation of packages. I am
> trying to install the package "maptools". This is what I get.
>
> install.packages("maptools",depend=T)
> Warning in install.packages("maptools", depend = T) :
>        argument 'lib' is missing: using /usr/local/lib/R/site-library
> Warning: unable to access index for repository
> http://cran.wustl.edu/src/contribdependency ''maptools'' is not
> available
>
> This is a machine running debian sarge. The http_proxy is correctly
> set. I am able to download the package by using wget. I also tried
> starting R with (R http_proxy-http://my-proxy/). That does not help
> either.

As it is syntactically invalid, it will not.  Perhaps

$ http_proxy="http://my-proxy/" R

might help in bash or similar.