[R] write.csv feature/bug with pipe

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Mar 25 11:33:19 CEST 2007

This is simply user error: the column names _are_ written to the pipe.
Because the connection was not open, the connection is opened to write the
column names, closed, opened to write the data and then closed.

In any case, you should call close() on connections you create to avoid
leaking connection structures.  The following works:

con <- pipe("cat > d2.csv", "w")
write.csv(d, file=con)
close(con)

write.table() does exactly the same thing.

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007, ivo welch wrote:

> gentoo linux, version 2.4.1:
>
>> d= as.data.frame(matrix(1:20, 4, 5))
>  V1 V2 V3 V4 V5
> 1  1  5  9 13 17
> 2  2  6 10 14 18
> 3  3  7 11 15 19
> 4  4  8 12 16 20
>> write.csv(d, file="d1.csv");
>> write.csv(d, file=pipe("cat > d2.csv"))
>> write.csv(d, file=pipe("gzip -c > d3.csv.gz"), col.names=T)
> Warning message:
> attempt to change 'col.names' ignored in: write.csv(d, file =
> pipe("gzip -c > d4.csv.gz"), col.names = T)

(Seems unlikely the message got the file name wrong here.)