[R] Gaussian Adaptive Quadrature

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Wed Mar 21 16:26:46 CET 2007

Hi,

The function "integrate" is based on QUADPACK Fortran package by Piessens.
It does indeed perform adaptive Gauss-Kronrod quadrature, where Kronrod's
method allows the re-use of abscissa from the previous iteration, thus
enabling the estimation of the quadrature error and its control.  In
contrast, in the standard Gaussian quadrature methods this is not feasible.

The terminology "Gaussian quadrature" is not restricted to Gauss-Hermite
quadrature (where exp(-x^2) is the weight function), but applies more
broadly to Gauss-Legendre, Gauss-Laguerre, etc., where the abscissa are
chosen from Legendre, Laguerre polynomials.

Ravi.

-------

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu