[R] Strange integer result on Debian/amd64

Dave Ewart davee at ceu.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 20 15:59:38 CET 2007

Using the following version of R:

> R version 2.4.1 (2006-12-18)

installed using apt-get on a Debian/Sarge AMD64 system with the
following entry in /etc/apt/sources.lists:

deb http://www.stats.bris.ac.uk/R/bin/linux/debian/ stable/

The problem: I'm seeing strange results in a integer calculation as
follows:

> choose(11,6)
> [1] 462
> as.integer(choose(11,6))
> [1] 461

11-choose-6 should return 462 of course.  Other platforms and versions
of R (R/Windows and R/32-bit Linux on an Ubuntu/Dapper box) give the
correct result of 462 for the integer cast.

What on earth is going on here?  The values of 11 and 6 were
stumbled-upon by accident and I haven't been able to find other example
values which give a similar error.

Two AMD64/Linux systems I have both display the above error, actually; I
can't reproduce the error on any other platform/OS.

All help/suggestions/appreciated!

Dave.

--
Dave Ewart
davee at ceu.ox.ac.uk
Computing Manager, Cancer Epidemiology Unit
Cancer Research UK / Oxford University
PGP: CC70 1883 BD92 E665 B840 118B 6E94 2CFD 694D E370
Get key from http://www.ceu.ox.ac.uk/~davee/davee-ceu-ox-ac-uk.asc
N 51.7518, W 1.2016