[R] Hardware for a new Workstation for best performance using R

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 20:22:45 CET 2007

I think there are a lot of misconceptions regarding what is possible on Windows.

On Windows you just right click the graphic in R and choose Copy as Metafile
which puts a vector graphic representation on the clipboard and then
ctrl-V in Word to copy it in.  (Alternately save all your graphics as files
and then later insert them into Word.)

Once in Word you can even edit the elements of the graphic after the fact
such as changing the x and y axis labels right in Word, etc. Just right click
the graphic and choose Edit to get into the graphic editor.  You don't need
any other software to do that.  This is very easy, fast, flexible and gives
top resolution since its in a vector format.

(By the way, there are many free PDF generators on Windows.  I use FreePDF
on my Windows machine but I normally don't need it with R since
I just do the above.)