[R] R and clinical studies

AJ Rossini blindglobe at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 11:18:18 CET 2007

On Friday 16 March 2007 09:36, Delphine Fontaine wrote:
> Thanks for your answer which was very helpfull. I have another question:
>
> I have read in this document
> (http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-intro.pdf) that most of the
> programs written in R are ephemeral and that new releases are not
> always compatible with previous releases. What I would like to know is
> if R functions are already validated and if not, what should we do to
> validate a R function ?

Validation is in the eye of the beholder.

In particular, for clinical studies, from the corporate or institutional point
of view, "what we should do to validate an R function" should be answered by
the local Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for "what should we do to
validate a computer programming language function".

If you are working with clinical trials as part of a health authority
submission process, you should have those in place.

Of course, what you probably are interested in is an approach where you
qualify R, and validate programs and packages written for R, which might be
another better approach, in which case the same applies.  Your SOPs should
apply to both.

(Now, assuming that you've done a reasonable job on the processes, as per
Mats' answer, the point is that "R" vs. anything else is a simple red
herring, as there is nothing in the spirit of the regulations which
differentiates any of the characteristics of R with any other reasonable
piece of software, for appropriate definitions of reasonableness).

<digression title="semi-relevant, on SOPs and commercial software">
I should point out that a certain large company I'm familiar with, who uses a
certain "famous" piece of statistical software for activities perhaps
described above, can't use the most recent version because of interesting
issues with its "self qualification" tool, which prevents it from
self-qualifying the new version on any installation on a certain operating
system originating near where I used to live, when the previous version of
the famous software had been installed.  This feature, if not reverted, would
necessitate total disk wipe of ALL computers requiring qualification running
this operating system, where the new version of this famous piece of software
would be installed, if this certain large company wants to follow it's SOPs.
This is apparently a feature, not a bug, and demonstrates clearly the
benefits and joys of commercial support when millions of swiss francs of
licensing fees are involved.
</digression>

I'm not a lawyer, nor am I speaking for any corporation indirectly referenced
above, nor will I provide sufficient justification to help anyone else take
any of the statements as a fact.

best,
-tony

blindglobe at gmail.com
Muttenz, Switzerland.
"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we can
easily roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).