[R] Fwd: Re: CPU usage on Windows

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Sat Mar 17 03:56:29 CET 2007

I can't imagine using Windows without Emacs.
In particular, the Windows ports of Emacs are very aware
of the operating system and usually make the right assumptions.

The type of behavior you are noticing can probably be cured by typing C-g in the
*R* buffer in emacs.  The most likely cause is that the R process in Emacs
is waiting for the plot to finish and is querying the plotting device.
Most of that excess CPU usage is from the query loop.  The C-g tells Emacs and R
to stop waiting.

If C-g doesn't stop the 100% CPU utilization, then it is most likely something
about the specific plot you are drawing.  We will need to see a reproducible
example to say more.

Rich