[R] ERROR: 'latex' needed but missing on your system.

Joel J. Adamson jadamson at PARTNERS.ORG
Fri Mar 16 18:29:07 CET 2007

After successfully building R on Slackware Linux v11.0 I went to make
the documentation; the texi files went fine and then I hopefully issued

make dvi

after having gotten the warning to the effect of "You cannot build the
DVI or PDF manuals" during compilation.  And, as expected I got the
error

ERROR: 'latex' needed but missing on your system.

The problem is that latex is on my system and is in root's path:

/usr/src/R-2.4.1 Super-User > echo $PATH
/usr/share/texmf/bin/:/opt/kde/bin/:/uCsr/local/stata{sic}:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin

I can issue latex from the command line as root (su'd to root, that
is) and it will run successfully.  Also, "whereis latex" turns up
empty.

I did not have this problem on PCLinuxOS 0.93a.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Joel
--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and properly dispose of this information.