[R] replacing all NA's in a dataframe with zeros...

Jason Barnhart jasoncbarnhart at msn.com
Thu Mar 15 01:41:31 CET 2007

This should work.

> test.df <- data.frame(x1=c(NA,2,3,NA), x2=c(1,2,3,4),
> x3=c(1,NA,NA,4))
> test.df
  x1 x2 x3
1 NA  1  1
2  2  2 NA
3  3  3 NA
4 NA  4  4

> test.df[is.na(test.df)] <- 1000

> test.df
    x1 x2   x3
1 1000  1    1
2    2  2 1000
3    3  3 1000
4 1000  4    4

The following search string "cran r replace data.frame NA" in Google
(as US user) yielded some good results (5th and 7th entry), but there
was another example that explicitly yielded this technique.  I can't
seem to recall my exact search string.