[R] Freeman-Tukey arcsine transformation

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Mar 13 20:30:28 CET 2007

Bos, Roger wrote:
> I'm curious what this transformation does, but I am not curious enough to pay $14 to find out.  Someone once told me that the arcsine was a good way to transform data and make it more 'normal'.  I am wondering if this is an improved method.  Anyone know of a free reference?

Well, a paper copy of the American Statistician (1978) would be free in
some sense....

In the meantime I got detached from JSTOR (i.e., I went home), and I'm
not prepared to jump through the relevant hoops for remote access at
this point, but AFAIR it was a relatively trivial version of the simple
arcsine transform, something like replacing asin(r/n) with the average
of asin(r/(n+1)) and asin((r+1)/(n+1)). The point of the paper is that
you can invert explicitly for r/n if n is known.