[R] Off topic:Spam on R-help increase?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Mar 9 18:14:44 CET 2007

    DB> On 3/6/07, Bert Gunter <gunter.berton at gene.com> wrote:
    >> In the past 2 days I have seen a large increase of  spam getting into
    >> R-help. Are others experiencing this problem? If so, has there been some
    >> change to the spam filters on the R-servers? If not, is the problem on my
    >> end?

    DB> There has indeed been an increase in the amount of spam making it
    DB> through to the list.  We apologize for the inconvenience.  Regretably
    DB> we will not be able to do much about it until the beginning of next
    DB> week.

    DB> Martin Maechler is on vacation at present and I am administering the
    DB> lists until he returns.  Most of the time this works even though the
    DB> mail servers are in Zurich Switzerland and I am in Madison, WI, USA.
    DB> However, in the last two days we have had a surge in spam and quite a
    DB> bit of it is getting through the filters.

    DB> The filters are catching some of the spam.  I think the main
    DB> difference in the last two days has been that the level of spam to the
    DB> lists has increased but it could be that something has happened to the
    DB> filters too.

I've been back today, well relaxed and tanned from the nice
vacation; thanks to all of you for taking such an interest in it:-) ;-)

With a work back-log of almost 4 weeks, I hadn't dared to look
into my R-lists inbox of > 2400 messages until about an hour ago.

"Fortunately" it's not the spammers that would have become
smarter (well they have or their hired geeks, but already a few
months ago, not just now).
The main problem has ``just'' been disk-server, then network and
file mount problems on the mail server that were unfortunately
not seen at first by our IT staff.
As a consequence, there had also been enormous (> 24 hours)
delays in mail delivery, maybe less visible on the mailing list
side of it.
As far as I can see/guess now, the spam problem should have
lasted only about one to two days --- too long of course for
you, but at least not till I had returned to work.

Yes indeed, we are sorry for this, but no, we cannot promise it
won't happen again :-\

Martin