[R] Appropriate error distribution

Cristina Gomes cristina_gomes_parisca at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 7 10:04:59 CET 2007

Hi,
My name is Cristina. I'm interested in studying which continuos predictor
variables (such as grooming received, rank, etc.) affect grooming given, as
well a continuos variable. I'm having problems finding an appropriate family
distribution to fit the GLMM I'm doing. The response variable, grooming
given, has many zeros which does not allow me to use a gamma distribution. I
tried with a poisson but since I had to convert the data to integers I fear
loosing a lot of information (and anyway my data is originally continuos and
not counts). I found in the help archive that someone with a similar problem
(continuos data and many zeros) was adviced to use Tweedie models. I don't
know anything about this and wouldn't kow if this is appropriate in my case
and possible to apply to generalized linear mixed models.
I'm wondering if anybody could provide me with any good insights on what
distribution I could us and if, in the case of tweedie being a good option,
if it can be used with GLMM's..
Thanks a lot,
Cristina.