[R] anova applied to a lme object

Berta ibanez at bioef.org
Wed Mar 7 13:09:46 CET 2007

Hi R-users,

when carrying out a multiple regression, say lm(y~x1+x2), we can use an
anova of the regression with summary.aov(lm(y~x1+x2)), and afterwards
evaluate the relative contribution of each variable using the global Sum of
Sq of the regression and the Sum of Sq of the simple regression y~x1.

Now I would like to incorporate a random effect in the model, as some data
correspond to the same region and others not:  mylme<- lme(y~x1+x2, random=
~1|as.factor(region)). I would like to know, if possible, which is the
contribution of each variable to the global variability. Using anova(mylme)
produce an anova table (without the Sum of Sq column), but I am not sure how
can I derive the contribution of each variable from it, or even whether it
is nonsense to try, nor can I derive a measure of how much variability is
left unexplained.

Sorry for the type of question, but I did not find a simple solution and
some researchers I work with love to have relative contributions to global
variability.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Berta