[R] Package RODBC

Mendiburu, Felipe (CIP) F.MENDIBURU at CGIAR.ORG
Tue Mar 6 17:15:25 CET 2007

Dear Alberto,

channel <- odbcConnectExcel("test.xls")
name1 <- tables[1, "TABLE_NAME"] # the name1 is Sheet1$
it must be:
name1 <- "Sheet1"
plan1 <- sqlFetch(channel, name1) is ok
or
plan1 <- sqlFetch(channel, "Sheet1")

Regards,

Felipe

-----Original Message-----
From: r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch
[mailto:r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch]On Behalf Of Alberto Monteiro
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 9:37 AM
To: r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: [R] Package RODBC

I have some questions about the RODBC package.

  library(RODBC)  # required for those who want to repeat these lines

1st, I noticed that the following sequence does not work:

  channel <- odbcConnextExcel("test.xls")
  tables <- sqlTables(channel)
  name1 <- tables[1, "TABLE_NAME"]  # this should be the name
  plan1 <- sqlFetch(channel, name1)  # bang!
  odbcClose(channel)

However, I can circumvent this with:

  channel <- odbcConnextExcel("test.xls")
  tables <- sqlTables(channel)
  name1 <- tables[1, "TABLE_NAME"]  # this should be the name
  plan1 <- sqlQuery(channel, sprintf("select * from [%s]", name1))  # ok
  odbcClose(channel)

2nd, it seems that only "pure" strings (which are not links to
strings) and numerical values are correctly fetched or selected.
Is this a bug?

3rd, when do something like plan1[,1] a weird message about Levels
appear. What is that?

Alberto Monteiro