[R] R software to place points on Yahoo maps

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 08:48:47 CET 2007

Hi, Your response to my post was EXTREMELY useful.

For georegistering I used the site:

   http://www.runningmap.com

which lets one click on a a Yahoo! map and get lat/long in lower right.
As my data is in UTM I converted the lat/long to UTM using:

   http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/toolbox/geography/geoutm.html

Then using locator() in R I picked out the corresponding points on the
R image that I had created using your code.  That allowed me to
calculate the inputs for GridTopology (are there any convenience functions
to assist in this? -- I found it a bit error prone)

(I actually noticed that there is a lat/long in Yahoo! map URLs so it might
be that if the maps are a known width and height that one could georegister
them based only on that.)

At any rate I seem to be having some success with this.  Thanks !!!