[R] Fwd: Re: [friday topic]: what exactly is statistical computing

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Fri Mar 2 22:14:52 CET 2007

This is a very fascinating discussion topic.  I find I run into
some fundamental differences in interpretation of the phrase "statistical
computing".  I think of it as writing programs or functions, such as R or packages
in R, and of understanding the numerical analysis behind these functions.

I exclude USING computer programs, such as R, for data analysis from my
definition of statistical computing.  I see that as doing statistics.
I have had students, some sent by other faculty members, in my class
on statistical computing thinking they were going to learn how to do statistical
analysis using the computer.  There was a clash of expectations between what
they thought they were taking and what I had in the syllabus.

Rich