[R] [friday topic]: what exactly is statistical computing

Lucke, Joseph F Joseph.F.Lucke at uth.tmc.edu
Fri Mar 2 20:25:59 CET 2007

Statistical computing perhaps is not so much a single topic as a family
of related topics (a la Wittgenstein) that share a lot in common but
perhaps very little is common to all. For example,
1. Statistical computing in contrast to statistical theory.
6. Statistical computing as a supplement to statistical theory.
2. Statistical computing as gaining insight through data visualization
3. Statistical computing for asymptotic analyses
4. Statistical computing for approximations to unknown distributions
5. Statistical computing for teaching demonstrations
7. Statistical computing for assessing behavior of statistics.

and so on.

Joe