[R] [friday topic]: what exactly is statistical computing

Wensui Liu liuwensui at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 19:20:33 CET 2007

Thanks for your insight, Roger.

Actually, my question is not related to R only.

statistical computing is a popular topic recently. However, when I
check its meaning on wikipedia/google, I couldn't find it.

another reason why I asked is related to myself. I am very interested
in this area and maintaining a blog in this topic. however, when asked
what 'statistical computing' is, I am not able to give a
well-verbalized answer.

On 3/2/07, Bos, Roger <roger.bos at us.rothschild.com> wrote:
> This means it comes with substantial statistical routines built-in.  You
> could just as well use VBA or Java for your programming language, but
> with those you would have to write pretty much any stat routine you
> need.  With R, since it is a 'statistical computing' language, you know
> that most of what you need has already been programmed, tested(?), and
> is ready to use.
>
> I have seen you on this list for a while.  You already know all this.  I
> am not sure why you are asking this question.
>
> Roger

WenSui Liu
A lousy statistician who happens to know a little programming
(http://spaces.msn.com/statcompute/blog)