[R] Double-banger function names: preferences and suggestions

Joerg van den Hoff j.van_den_hoff at fzd.de
Fri Mar 2 16:01:19 CET 2007

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 10:31:08AM -0700, Jason Barnhart wrote:
> Definitely not #2.   Prefer #1 but #3 is ok as well.

  Definitely not #1.   Prefer #2 but #3 is ok as well.

  there is nothing like unanimous agreement :-)

  but in earnest: I don't think #1 is good on the already mentioned grounds
  that it masks the difference between a method call and a simple function name.
  I don't think a function name such as

  plot.mydata

  would be reasonable: is this a method call for plotting objects of class
  `mdyata' or is it some other function call (probably plotting my data)?

  in browsing through source code this is at least an unnecessary nuisance
  having to check this point.