[R] need indexing help again

bunny , lautloscrew.com bunny at lautloscrew.com
Thu Mar 1 14:46:21 CET 2007

Dear all,

i have a problem which deals with indexing again, i guess.
I am a beginner and though i read the S Poetry stuff it is not that
easy for me
to use the examples for my problems, maybe all this needs some
practice...

Here´s the question. As i want to perform a factor analysis i need
the same number of rows for every column to get a matrix that i use
as an argument of factanal.
I´d like to find out which of 5 question i asked explain the variance
in my dataset.
People were able to choose "dont know".
Of course someone who didn´t know, could know the answers for the
other question.

To put in a nutshell,  only those results are valid for my factanal
in which every question is answered (which is ok, as it is that way
most of the time).
i have matrices  question1, question2 etc which contain the answers
to each question.
Every person has a result id.

There fore my idea is to put all the matrices into one big matrices
and then just take those of out the matrices, where the resultid
occurs 5 times - as i have 5 questions.

And here are my two questions :

  a) is there some syntax that  helps me with:
if number of any resultid appearance in column 1 is is smaller than
5, dont put it into my new matrix ?

b) is the idea in general wrong ? is there an easier way to get the
matrices into one.. prepared for a factanal ?

thx in advance!

matthias