[R] How to read in this data format?

Petr Klasterecky klaster at karlin.mff.cuni.cz
Thu Mar 1 12:29:35 CET 2007

Well, not extremely elegant, but should work:
1) open your file in some ascii text editor, delete the rubbish at the
beginning up to line Scan 1, and replace all spaces in names - e.g. make
a mass replace of 'Retention Time' by let say 'RetentionTime'.

2) Use read.table(), matrix() and data.frame():
d <- read.table('yourfile')
dd <- matrix(as.numeric(t(d)[2,]),byrow=TRUE,nrow=HowManyScansYouHave)
dd <- data.frame(dd)
names(dd) <- d[[1]][1:HowManyObservationsYouHavePerScan]

Petr

Bart Joosen napsal(a):
> Hi,
>
> I recieved an ascii file, containing following information:
>
> $$ Experiment Number:
> $$ Associated Data:
>
> FUNCTION 1
>
> Scan		1
> Retention Time	0.017
>
> 399.8112	184
> 399.8742	0
> 399.9372	152
>
> Scan		2
> Retention Time	0.021
>
> 399.8112	181
> 399.8742	1
> 399.9372	153
>

> I would like to import this data in R into a dataframe, where there is a
> column time, the first numbers as column names, and the second numbers as
> data in the dataframe:
>
> Time	399.8112	399.8742	399.9372
> 0.017	184	0	152
> 0.021	181	1	153
>
> I did take a look at the read.table, read.delim, scan, ... But I 've no idea
> about how to solve this problem.
>
> Anyone?
>

> Thanks
>
> Bart