[R] create matrix from comparing two vectors

Horace Tso Horace.Tso at pgn.com
Tue Jun 26 22:01:13 CEST 2007

In case you really want to use the apply variety, here is another one,

 sapply(fac,function(x)ifelse(test/x<1, 1, 0))

H.

>>> "Van Campenhout Bjorn" <bjorn.vancampenhout at ua.ac.be> 6/26/2007 11:13:14 AM >>>
hi all, sorry for this basic question, I think I know I should use ?apply, but it is really confusing me...

I want to create a matrix by comparing two vectors.  Eg:

test<-seq(1:10)
fac<-c(3,6,9)

and i want to end up with a 10*3 matrix with a boolean that tests if test<fac, so something like:

1 1 1
1 1 1
0 1 1
0 1 1
0 1 1
0 0 1
0 0 1
0 0 1
0 0 0
0 0 0

I can't find the solution without using a loop...