[R] Power calculation with measurement error

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Tue Jun 26 17:18:02 CEST 2007

I don't know of a current package that does this (others may), but if
you know what you expect your data to look like you can simulate it and
calculate power that way.

Basically, write a function that will simulate data with the level of
measurement error that you expect in the real data (or have the amount
of measurement error passed in as a parameter so you can examine the
effect of diffenent values).  Then have the function compute the t test
(or other test that you plan to do) and return the p-value from the
test.

Then you can simulate the process with a command like:

> out1 <- replicate( 1000, myfunction(n=25, err=.1, diff=.5) )

And compute the power with:

> mean( out1 < 0.05 ) # or whatever alpha value you want.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center