[R] ts() defunct in R 2.5.0?

Douglas Maraun d.maraun at uea.ac.uk
Tue Jun 26 16:49:46 CEST 2007

Hi!

I have written an R-package
(http://tocsy.agnld.uni-potsdam.de/wavelets/index.html) in R 2.4.1
that requires the ts() function. Users using R 2.5.0 now have a
problem installing this package. I checked the package using R 2.5.0:

* Installing *source* package 'sowas' ...
** libs
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/users10/hrust/share/lib64/R/include
-I/usr/users10/hrust/share/lib64/R/include  -I/usr/local/include
-fpic  -g -O2 -c invmorlet.c -o invmorlet.o
gcc -std=gnu99 -shared -L/usr/local/lib64 -o sowas.so invmorlet.o
** R
** data
** preparing package for lazy loading

Attaching package: 'Rwave'

       The following object(s) are masked from package:stats :

        kernel

** help
 >>> Building/Updating help pages for package 'sowas'
    Formats: text html latex example
 air                               text    html    latex
 createar                          text    html    latex   example
 createwgn                         text    html    latex   example
 criticalvaluesWCO                 text    html    latex   example
 criticalvaluesWSP                 text    html    latex   example
 cwt.ts                            text    html    latex   example
 nao                               text    html    latex
 nino3                             text    html    latex
 plot.wt                           text    html    latex   example
 plotwt                            text    html    latex   example
 readmatrix                        text    html    latex   example
 readts                            text    html    latex   example
 rk                                text    html    latex   example
 wco                               text    html    latex   example
 wcs                               text    html    latex   example
 writematrix                       text    html    latex   example
 wsp                               text    html    latex   example
** building package indices ...
Read 3192 items
Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : could not find function "ts"
Execution halted
ERROR: installing package indices failed
** Removing '/usr/users10/hrust/tmp/sowas.Rcheck/sowas'

In the corresponding DESCRIPTION File, the depend line reads:

     Depends: R,Rwave,stats

I read in the 2.5.0 news, that ts has been defunct. So I added

     Depends: R,Rwave,stats,ts

Now I get the following error:
_____________________________

* checking for working latex ... OK
* using log directory '/usr/users10/hrust/tmp/sowas.Rcheck'
* using R version 2.5.0 (2007-04-23)
* checking for file 'sowas/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
* this is package 'sowas' version '0.93'
* checking package dependencies ... ERROR
Former standard packages required but now defunct:
 ts

See the information on DESCRIPTION files in the chapter 'Creating R
packages' of the 'Writing R Extensions' manual.

Actually, I have read the "Writing R Extensions" about the DESCRIPTION
file but could not find any helpful information. Has anybody got some
idea?

Cheers
Douglas