[R] JRI and Axis Web Service

Rajarshi Guha rguha at indiana.edu
Mon Jun 25 15:27:51 CEST 2007

On Jun 24, 2007, at 7:58 PM, Yifan (Eric) Jiang wrote:

> I've been asked to develop a Java Axis web service to retrieve an
> R-script file from the client side and then using JRI jar file in
> order
> to call the R program that installed on the web service server. After
> reading the online documentation, I've successfully installed the R
> program with rJava and JRI packages. In addition, I can call the R
> program to run the R-script by using org.rosuda.JRI.Rengine.
> Everything
> is running fine if this program is running as a normal Java
> application.
> However, I fail to obtain any return when I was trying to consume this
> method by using the Java Axis web service.
>

> So I am wondering if any one could share their experiences to using
> JRI
> in Axis web service. Your helps mean a lot to me and I've been
> struggled
> to fix this problem for days.

We have developed a distributed computational infrastructure using R
(and JRI) as the backend coupled with AXIS web services and have
built a number of clients on top of this.

You can browse the source code for the services from the Sourceforge
repository located at
http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cicc-grid/cicc-grid/rws/trunk/
(though the R code in the repository has not been updated recently)

Examples of what functionality is available via the web services can
be found at http://www.chembiogrid.org/projects/proj_statistics.html

The page also lists a number of clients that make use of the web
service infrastructure.

Rajarshi Guha  <rguha at indiana.edu>
GPG Fingerprint: 0CCA 8EE2 2EEB 25E2 AB04  06F7 1BB9 E634 9B87 56EE