[R] Speed up R

bogdan romocea br44114 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 17:41:52 CEST 2007

Don't rush to buy new hardware yet (other than perhaps more RAM for
your existing desktop). First of all you should make sure that your R
code can't be made any faster. (I've seen cases where careful
re-writes increased speed by a factor of 10 or more.) There are some
rules (such as pre-allocate enough memory for vectors/lists, use
matrices instead of data frames etc) and tools (?Rprof, ?Sys.time)
that can help a lot. Check the manuals and the archives, for example
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.general/48800