[R] How can I obtain smooth lines in graphs?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Thu Jun 21 02:20:26 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 17:05 -0700, Judith Flores wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I need to plot lines in a graph, but when I run the
> corresponding commands I obtain pixel-like lines, they
> need to be smooth, is there a way to do this?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Judith

Judith,

You will need to provide more information (version of R, OS, output
device, etc.) and some sample code.

If you are generating a bitmapped image file such as PNG or JPEG, as
opposed to a vector based image such as PDF, EPS or WMF/EMF then there
is not much you can do with respect to the pixelation of curved/angled
lines or curves/angles in text.   You can increase the dpi (dots per
inch) to enhance the relative resolution (at the expense of a larger
file), but the image quality is still dependent on the device upon which
the image is viewed.

Pending further information, if you need high quality output, depending
upon the intended use, then you want to use vector based images.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz