[R] compiler cannot create executables

Rob Dunne rob.dunne at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 02:00:36 CEST 2007

Hi Dick,

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

>>> %sudo R CMD INSTALL --no-configure e1071_1.5-16.tar.gz
>> This statement of your conflicts with the msg you show below. Do you,
>> or don't you, succeed?

sorry If my posting wasn't clear

%sudo R CMD INSTALL --no-configure e1071_1.5-16.tar.gz   -- works

%sudo R CMD INSTALL e1071_1.5-16.tar.gz   -- gives th error message

>> Please try
>>
>>        $ sudo apt-get install r-base-dev

r-base-dev is already the newest version.

>> as you seem to missing g++, and probably a host of other things.
>
> I don't have access to a 'breezy' box anymore but what it could be is
> that R expects a different compiler version then the system has as
> default -- g++-4.0 vs g++-3.4.
>
> What does 'grep g++ /etc/R/Makeconf' yield?

CXX = g++
CXXCPP = g++ -E
SHLIB_CXXLD = g++

I unpacked the package and ran the configure script. It runs with no
problems.

%tar -xzf e1071_1.5-16.tar.gz
% cd e1071/
% ./configure
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes

Bye and thanks
Rob