[R] Extracting t-tests on coefficients in lm

Chuck Cleland ccleland at optonline.net
Thu Jun 21 00:28:03 CEST 2007

David C. Howell wrote:
> I am writing a resampling program for multiple regression using lm(). I
> resample the data 10,000 times, each time extracting the regression
> coefficients. At present I extract the individual regression
> coefficients using
>
>   brg = lm(Newdv~Teach + Exam + Knowledge + Grade + Enroll)
>   bcoef[i,] = brg$coef
>
> This works fine.
>
> But now I want to extract the t tests on these coefficients. I cannot
> find how these coefficients are stored, if at all. When I try
>     attributes(brg)
> I do not find the t values as the attributes of the object. Typing
> summary(brg) will PRINT the coefficients, their standard errors, t, and
> the associated probability. I would like to type something like
>     tcoeff[i,] = brg$tvalue
> but, of course, tvalue doesn't exist.
>
> Is there a simple way to extract, or compute if necessary, these values?

summary(brg)$coefficients[,3]

str(summary(brg)) is sometimes helpful for figuring out how to extract
something.

  Also, you might have a look at John Fox's document on bootstraping
regression models if you don't already know about it:

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/contrib/Fox-Companion/appendix-bootstrapping.pdf

--
Chuck Cleland, Ph.D.
NDRI, Inc.