[R] Speed up R

Stefan Grosse singularitaet at gmx.net
Wed Jun 20 09:29:03 CEST 2007

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re:[R] Speed up R
From: Matthew Keller <mckellercran at gmail.com>
To: Robert McFadden <robert-mcfadden at o2.pl>
Date: 19.06.2007 23:09
>  but I think that windows has problems addressing
> that much RAM (surely the 64bit Vista is OK with it though... surely).
> Linux or Apple (the powermac) might be better bets if you're wanting
> to work with programs that use a lot of RAM. BTW, Intel does make 64
> bit chips now. They use them in macs.

The Core 2 Duo has 64bit processing and is not only used in Macs... The
thing with the 64bit Vista is that there is much less software driver
support at the moment. So if you will not use more than 4GB and want to
use it for other purposes than you might prefer the 32bit Vista... My
personal subjective feeling is that Vista is slower then XP. So I would
say thats not the only reason to go for Linux.

Stefan