[R] Unix-like permissions to allow a user to update recommen

John Logsdon j.logsdon at quantex-research.com
Tue Jun 19 11:04:08 CEST 2007

R-ists

When you move from version to version of R a completely new directory tree is
installed so in principal if you *know* that a package is not updated you can
re-install it from the old tree or copy it to your new tree and install it.

Maybe an 'import packages from previous versions' could be included which
would search  for other installations, offer a choice if >1 and automatically
pick out the list of old packages again offering the user to check/uncheck
each package.  Then the action would import or download updated versions as
appropriate...

What would be more useful (and I don't really think this is the right list) is
to have permissions and a date stamp attached to each object and to extend
the ls() command to be able to select or sort on these aspects of an object,
also the size - just like Unix in fact (perhaps with more comprehensive
permissions although the group/world structures are not needed).

This is because as memory increases, I guess many people do what I do and
create all their objects in the workspace - then forget when we wrote and
when!

--
Best wishes

John

John Logsdon                               "Try to make things as simple
Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK         as possible but not simpler"
j.logsdon at quantex-research.com              a.einstein at relativity.org
+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675       www.quantex-research.com