[R] Upgraded FC4 to FC5 - unable to start device X11 in R

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Sat Jun 16 02:03:37 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 13:50 -0700, Li-Jung Liang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I upgraded my system from FC4 to FC5.  So now I have R version 2.5.0
> (2007-04-23).
> But I ran into a problem with starting device X11 (message below).
>
>  > X11()
> can't find X11 font
> Error in X11(display, width, height, pointsize, if (is.null(gamma)) 1
> else gamma,  :
>         unable to start device X11
>
> Any idea?
>
> Thanks,
> L.

Sounds like either you did not install some font related RPMS during
your 'upgrade' or your xorg.conf file has perhaps become corrupted
relative to defining font paths.

Check as 'root':

 # yum list xorg-x11-fonts*

and see what it returns.

How did you install R?  Using the RPMS from CRAN or from Fedora Extras?

Also, note that FC5 will reach EOL (End of Life) on June 29, which means
that you will receive no further updates (security, bug fixes, etc)
after that date.  You should really consider upgrading to FC6.

F7 just came out and I am running it, but I would recommend that typical
users wait a while before doing so to give it time to stabilize.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz