[R] JGR, Java and Kubuntu 7.04 ...

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Jun 15 13:56:59 CEST 2007

On 15 June 2007 at 12:32, Stefan Grosse wrote:
| You could download the latest R (2.5.0) directly from CRAN, this just as
| a side remark, You find instructions here:
| http://cran.au.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/README

Yes indeed, thanks for our fearless backporters.

| With java you should make sure that you have the Java 5 JDK installed.
| I dont know how it is with Ubuntu but on fedora I have to set the java
| alternative (sun java installation does not change the default java
| there). Which java is installed you can check with java -version there
| you see it it is properly installed and a R CMD javareconf also
| indicates if your java is configured correctly. Additionally on Fedora I
| had to set JAVA_HOME to the JDK directory manually.

"It all worked" -- I don't run Java much myself, but I think starting with
the previous Ubuntu release and the actual Sun packages directly acessible
via apt-get, it worked.

However, with the current packages in my Kubuntu setup at work, I do get a
segfault once JGR is up and loaded.   I suspect, as Stefan said here, that
this is due to the Java 6 packages in Ubuntu.  As I said, sun-java5-jdk seems
to have work along with 'sudo R CMD javareconf', Simon's powerful Java
parameter setter for R.

In any event, we should carry this over to r-sig-debian.

Dirk

| Stefan

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison